Gainesville Personal Injury, Divorce and Alimony Attorney

We have moved! You can now find us at:

235 South Main Street Suite W203 Gainesville, FL 32601

Call, Click or Text

RD- an actual child support client

“My case was handled quickly and with ease.”
“Prospective clients may not obtain the same or similar results.”

I Received a Traffic Ticket, Now What?

You received a traffic ticket for speeding, failure to yield, violation of a traffic control device, careless driving, or some other reason so now what? For some reason many people believe they must pay a citation within 30 days. While that is an option it is not necessarily a requirement.

Within 30 days of receiving the citation you must inform the court whether you want to A) pay the citation and then pay the ticket, B) elect school, if you qualify, to resolve the citation and still pay the amount on the ticket or C) take the traffic ticket to court. If you hire a traffic attorney you are making the election to fight your traffic citation in court. If you wait past 30 days, you cannot elect school to resolve your citation, despite what the police may have said roadside.  In addition, waiting past 30 days, will lead to the license being suspended.  A driver who failed to act can request a hearing if the citation was issued within180 days.

No all lawyers go to court, some will just enter a plea of no contest through the mail and never plan to appear at a hearing.  Hiring this firm menas that there will be an attorney to appear at court to argue. An appearance by the accused is not necessary and can actually hurt the case especially if there is an identity issue, such as in a crash case.  If you choose to fight your traffic ticket, your attorney should go to court for you.

At the hearing, if the officer fails to show then the person wins and the traffic citation case should be dismissed on those grounds. If the officer does appear, then they must prove that the speed measuring device, weather radar, laser, stop watch, or in a pacing stop their speedometer, has been properly maintained and calibrated.  If the officer is missing documentation or there is an error, then the defendant can win on those grounds.

Click, call or fill out the form to hire a traffic attorney to represent the accused in court.

Gainesville (352) 371-9141

Ocala (352) 694-4529