Gainesville Personal Injury, Divorce and Alimony Attorney

Criminal cases and Surrender – Turning your self in

In a criminal case, surrender or turning yourself in is the best policy and really the only way to resolve an open warrant or arrest order, sometimes also called a capias . Some may argue with that statement but really every other option is merely turning your self in or surrendering in a different form.

Sometimes an attorney can file a motion requesting that the court remove, recall or quash the warrant. A motion to withdraw the warrant may be successful if the order was extremely recent. The longer a warrant has been outstanding the less likely most courts are to grant any motions without a hearing with the person accused, the defendant or probationer is present. Being present in the courtroom means the potential to be arrested and appearance is a form of surrender. However, sometimes the court will remove the warrant or capias and issue a notice to reappear at a later court date.

When an accused surrenders, that can be beneficial in seeking leniency later. This can help when seeking to get a bond or reduce a bond already in place. Turning your self in can also be seen as taking responsibility for the case which can be argued to the case’s benefit by an attorney.  Hiring a lawyer to file a motion seeking to remove a warrant can help. Of course how the case turns out is one hundred percent up to the judge.

Call or click to hire an attorney to help you surrender.

Gainesville (352) 371-9141

Ocala (352) 694-4529